NFB Board Meeting 5/16/18

NFB Board Meeting – 5/16/18

Attending: Julie Jones, John Andrews, Stephen Haedicke,  Michael Owings, Brian Luckett, Tyler Harwood, Rhonda Findley (via phone), Susan Korec, Steve Jacobs, Anthony Eschmann, Mark Gonzalez, Nancy Thacker.

Called to order 7:10

Krewe of Red Beans founder Devin Dewulf shared history around Bean Madness – an event which follows Mardi Gras and is based on the brackets one plays in the March Madness for basketball, with restaurants competing for the best red beans and rice. This was its second year, and it raises money for two local charities which were chosen in the past by the Red Bean Membership. Both Tyler and Nancy are members of the Krewe.

Devin wants to expand the event this year by organizing two larger events for the final tastings, held in Bywater and Treme. They are being planned as a block parties with good music and food – along with the tastings – and the role of purveyor of liquids was offered to NFB as participants and supporters. Dauphine Street in front of the Art Lofts and Bywater Bakery is being considered as an ideal spot. Some question as to what the process might be to sell alcohol will be further explored by Mark. Devin will follow up with us in a month – however at this time all were in favor of participation.

Michael brought in copies of the list of items for Kristen Palmer that he had sent around for input. It was updated and reviewed in the meeting and all agreed to ongoing active modification. Getting on calendars and timing discussed. Topics included:

  • Limits on commercial STR’s, number permitted per block, and linking STR’s to homestead exemptions. Possibly linking this issue to the growing parking problem was also explored. It was noted that the parking regulations fought for in the Marigny are not necessarily working well.
  • Potential restrictions on conditional uses were also discussed, as it undermines zoning.
  • A need to prioritize what is happening with the Riverfront Overlay. A need to revisit this with the firm 50 foot limit with any change having to go through the full variance process.

The NSA redevelopment was then discussed. Brian will be meeting with K. Palmer and other community members tomorrow (5/17/18) on this issue and will fill us in. There is some turbulence with the current leaseholder and the city. Concerns about the pending cruise ship terminal will also be discussed. There is a need for some kind of structured process where neighbors and neighborhoods can participate in the decisions.

It was then discussed, and the history reviewed for the Iris project at 2930 Burgundy (800 block Montegut). Motion made and passed by all not to send a letter of support as they have requested, since we feel they have not adequately addressed the concerns of the neighbors. A letter explaining why there isn’t support currently will be written instead. Mark will pen this letter which will include some of the concerns noted, such as lack of green space, scale, and design.

A very close eye needs to be kept on the single shotgun at 826 Piety and the parking lot at 830 Piety St. The fence has been removed and replaced incorporating the entire two properties, and supplies are being off loaded. Is there a variance for a fence going over 7 feet? The owner is leasing the space to people who want to put up an open-air restaurant, serving alcohol. Process would be to watch the plans being filed for ARC then HDLC.

Sex Shop: Near neighbors, as well as some Bywater residents in general, are expressing concerns about this recent addition to the retail development of the community. It seems that there is live music in the form of a DJ every Thursday evening, and they are likely not zoned for live entertainment. It should be on the open discussion agenda for the next general meeting to gather neighbors specific concerns.

Topics for the next general meeting were then discussed. Someone who can speak about potential new STR regulations was considered. Crime on St. Claude has also been cause for concern. Inviting a representative from the KIPP Renaissance High School who could discuss how they are dealing with recent violence and their concerns around youth development was suggested, or another speaker to talk about violence/conflict resolution in the community. NOPD could present info on violence prevention and increasing the safety and sense of community. Julie will provide food.

Meeting adjourned at 8:27.

respectfully submitted: N Thacker

A PDF of these minutes can be downloaded here.

This entry was posted in Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.